Traffic congestion on local streets steals valuable time and creates safety issues for all street users, particularly those taking public transit to get to and from home, work, school, businesses, and other key locations.
Moving More People Using Less Infrastructure
Metro has a plan to make it easier to get around LA. Bus service is the backbone of public transit, which is why the NextGen Bus Plan reimagined the bus system to focus on providing fast, frequent, reliable, and accessible service. Bus priority lanes are key to successfully implementing this plan. These lanes would improve bus speeds by as much as 15% or more, increasing service frequency and reliability, as well as enhancing mobility by moving more people without adding more infrastructure.
Improving Mobility in Downtown LA
The Grand Av and Olive St Bus Priority Lanes Project is an important step toward building a safer and faster multi-modal transit network in Los Angeles. Located along a 1-mile segment of Grand Av, between Hope Pl and Pico Bl, and a 1.4-mile segment of Olive St, between 2nd St and Pico Bl, the project would add bus priority lanes on weekdays from 7am to 7pm.
Metro is also partnering with the City of Los Angeles and other bus operators to pilot* and test new amenities, such as e-paper (real-time information displays) and lighting, at several bus stops along Grand Av and Olive St. (*This is a temporary pilot program subject to change.)
How These New Lanes Would Work
- Converts the rightmost traffic lane on Grand Av into a bus priority lane on weekdays from 7am—7pm; the existing protected bike lane would remain on the left side of the street
- Converts the rightmost traffic lane on Olive St into a bus priority lane on weekdays from 7am—7pm; the existing protected bike lane would remain on the left side of the street
Once the new lanes are installed, buses would be able to run every minute along both corridors. Nearly all current curbside parking on Grand Av and Olive St would be maintained and readily available for public use.
Benefits for All Street Users
The installation and use of bus priority lanes on Grand Av and Olive St would provide safety and mobility benefits to all street users.
- Transit Riders: Improves speed, frequency, and reliability of bus service on these two corridors
- Pedestrians: Improves safety of crossing the street and walking to nearby bus stops
- Cyclists: Maintains the existing protected bike lanes on Grand Av and Olive St
- Drivers: Eases traffic conflicts by reducing the need for buses to mix with vehicles in travel lanes
- Community: Maintains nearly all existing street parking for residents, businesses, and visitors to the area
- All: Provides quick and easy access to jobs, residences, businesses, cultural landmarks, and other key locations such as The Broad, Museum of Contemporary Art, Grand Park, LA Superior Court, Bunker Hill, Pershing Square, South Park, and more
> Fall 2020: Traffic Analysis
˃ Summer 2021: Prepare Final Design Plans
˃ Fall 2021: Implementation
Can’t find something? Contact Public Records.