Transportation Career Academy Program
Discover Careers in Transportation
TCAP provides summer internship opportunities to current junior and seniors (class of 2022 and 2023), who depend on transit, reside in LA County, live in close proximity of a Metro rail station and whose schools are located near Metro’s rail expansion efforts. This program offers students an opportunity to learn about careers in transportation and how to apply classroom theories and concepts to “real-world” work situations at one of the nation’s largest public transportation agencies.
What to Expect
- You will work virtually starting Friday, June 24, 2022, and will present your final distanced-based learning project team presentations on Friday, August 5, 2022.
- Mandatory in-service training sessions convene on Fridays from 10am – 12pm for seven weeks.
- Mandatory project team break-out sessions will convene at 10am – 12pm or 1-3pm, at least twice a week for seven weeks. Days of the week will be determined by your team.
- A stipend will be provided following successful completion of all aspects of the program.
Skills You'll Learn
- The opportunity to explore careers in transportation
- A chance to apply knowledge from high school coursework to real-world work experience
- Get on-the-job work experience in a specific career pathway or in a specific technical area
- Build a professional relationship with a mentor
- Learn about Metro’s innovative approach to promoting transportation and safety education programs
Are You Eligible?
To be considered for this program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Current high school juniors and seniors (class of 2022 and 2023) who have met program eligibility requirements
- Must be between the ages of 16 – 18 years of age
- Must have a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) 2.5 or better
- U.S. citizen, permanent resident or high school students who have legal authorization to work in the United States