How much does it cost for Students (K-12)?
|LIFE 30-Day Pass (low-income)||$14|
- Fare payment with TAP includes 2 hrs of unlimited transfers to Metro rail and bus in one direction (no roundtrips).
- Add’l 75¢ charge for the Silver Line and the Express Bus Lines 442 , 460 , 487 , 489 , 501 , 550 , and 577
- Add’l 50¢ charge for a transfer to non-Metro buses within 2.5 hrs.
- If using cash, please have exact fare when you board the bus. Metro bus operators do not carry change.
- Two children under age 5 may travel free with each fare-paying adult on bus or rail.
- Eating, drinking or smoking is not permitted in Metro stations, buses or trains.
- Warning: Failure to pay the proper fare is a violation of Section 640 Penal Code and may result in a fine up to $250 and 48 hours community service.
- 30-Day Pass: Valid for 30 consecutive days from the first tap. Expires at 3am on the day following expiration. Add’l charges apply to ride: Metro Silver Line, Metro Express Buses.
- 30-Day + Zone 1 Pass: Ride Metro for 30 consecutive days from the first tap. Includes: All Metro Services
How to get a Reduced Fare TAP card
- Apply at a Metro Customer Center.
- Make sure you have proper documentation and an image of yourself in the correct size.
- Student (K-12) hard copy application and requirements.
How to Pay
A TAP card costs $2 plus fare and includes transfers to Metro rail and bus. For additional TAP questions please visit taptogo.net or call 866.827.8646.
- Buy a regular TAP card online
- Reload, check your balance + expiration date of your TAP card
- Register your TAP card by calling 866.TAPTOGO for:
- Balance protection: If your card is lost or stolen you can recover the balance and transfer it to a new card.
- Ability to transfer a remaining balance from one TAP card to another
- Consolidation of remaining balances from several TAP cards to one
Exact change is accepted on buses that do not have All-Door Boarding. Transfers are not included.
To ride Metro Rail, you must pay with a TAP card.
Additional ways for Students (K-12) to save when riding Metro
If you frequently ride Metro in combination with other transit systems, EZ Pass could provide additional savings. EZ Month Pass (zone 0) = $110 + $22 per add’l zone
Metro to Implement Phase 2 of the NextGen Bus Plan, Launch Two New Metro Micro Ridesharing Zones on Sunday, June 27 to Better Serve Riders
Wednesday, June 23, 2021 As part of the agency’s NextGen Bus Plan to improve bus